Feather Insert Care
Once you receive your feather insert order from us, do ensure you allow your feather insert to breathe a little before use, as it has been cooped up in its little package during transit!
Your feather inserts are filled with 100% premium duck feather and the cover is made from Cotton Japara down proof fabric.
To ensure the longevity of your feather pillow and it retains its luxury look for longer, be sure to follow these tips on care:
1. Ensure you always “fluff” them up daily. Feather pillows like to be fluffed by hand. Once compressed, feather pillows typically do not return to their “pillowey” shape. However, fluffing your pillow can help revive the feathers within the pillow allowing it to be more supportive.
2. The wonderful thing with feather filled cushions is, they are machine washable (only suggested when necessary). If you need to wash, then follow the below instructions (or as attached to the insert);
- Take the pillow out of the pillowcase and pillow protector (bed pillows). Ideally, you have a front load washing machine handy.
- DO NOT USE DETERGENT– the reason we state this is the chemicals in detergent can break down the oils of the feathers and make them brittle over time and when brittle feathers poke you, it can be sharp.
- Set your front load washer to ‘gentle cycle’ or ‘delicate.’
- Once the wash cycle is complete we will need to dry it completely!
- Inspect the insert and make sure it is as spun dry from the wash cycle as possible, then check for any loose threads or labels.
- Dry that insert properly by possibly drying in 2 x 50 minute cycles (low heat) – place a towel inside also if you can.
- Making sure your insert is completely dry will ensure there is no dampness inside, which could lead to mould and mildew ruining the pillow.
By following the instructions above, we hope that you will have your insert for quite some time. They should last at least 7 years if they are kept well and not washed too often!